Monday, January 10, 2011

Remember that NYLON party we went to a couple weeks ago?

Well, I walked away with the prettiest glass bottle of Chloé perfume. The smell, however,mac brushes wasn’t nearly as nice. But I tried it, just in case. Natalie said, “all wrong” and “too woodsy”.
I tried again. My roommates loved it, and so did my boy neighbors.mac makeup And the woman shopping in Jumelle.north face denali And the girl who stopped me on the street today to ask what “divine” scent I was wearing. Even Natalie asked, “Wow, what is that?”
I know scents vary depending on the person, but do they vary on the same person from the first spritz to the third? Did my skin somehow adapt? Is that even possible?
Ruth La Ferla just wrote about bloggers blackhawks jerseys and the dramatic way in which they’re changing the fragrance industry. They’ve cracked open the world of niche perfumes to an audience that’s used to learning about new scents in People or the billboard above their gas station, giving giants like Estée Lauder and Coty a mini panic attack.
Natalie is indeed prompted to smell a new perfume based on a positive review whereas I’m influenced by the print ads, (ridiculous, I know). And yet we’re both aware it’s impossible to form an opinion of a scent without wearing it repeatedly.
If I’d read Chandler Burr’s scathing review of the Chloé scent and trusted my initial sniff, I would have kept Chloé as a pretty paperweight. Instead, it’s replaced the YSL Homme I’ve trusted for almost a year.
Do you read scent reviews? How do you determine which perfume is right for you without wearing it for a bit? And more importantly, has an offensive scent ever become your fave?